Home | About | Products | Blog

When to open new parts of the hive

I bought bees in early April, fed them for a couple weeks, and they have now become very active. I started at one end of the hive with nine bars and a partition, and then have built substantial combs on all of the bars already. How do I know when to give them more space and how do I go about this?

i have a similar question…

i believe it’s time to start “managing” the comb.

this les crowder http://www.amazon.com/Top-Bar-Beekeeping-Organic-Practices-Honeybee/dp/1603584617/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1368550664&sr=1-1&keywords=les+crowder is a must if you don’t already have it

i am thinking of adding two more empty bars…but figuring out what certain “combs” look like might be a challenge and how to space them…

I came looking for the same answer…anyone? Got about 10-12 boards with comb in the center…remove one follower board and give them the extra 6 or so board space? Open up the other hole or keep it to one hole in center?

I usually start moving the divider down as soon as they get within a bar or two of it with fresh comb. This way I’m always ahead of them. If I’m going to be gone for a while, then I’ll move it even farther down to avoid cramping them.

As I move the divider past the middle hole (I start my colonies at the end), depending on their strength I’ll open the middle hole/holes. If they are very strong I’ll usually open it up to give them move entrance(s) and ventilation. Usually they mainly use the middle entrance for ventilation (unless you started them in the middle).

Best,

Matt

I usually start moving the divider down as soon as they get within a bar or two of it with fresh comb. This way I'm always ahead of them. If I'm going to be gone for a while, then I'll move it even farther down to avoid cramping them.

As I move the divider past the middle hole (I start my colonies at the end), depending on their strength I’ll open the middle hole/holes. If they are very strong I’ll usually open it up to give them move entrance(s) and ventilation. Usually they mainly use the middle entrance for ventilation (unless you started them in the middle).

Best,

Matt

nice. thanks for the update :wink: