Home | About | Products | Blog

Warre top bar spacing questions

Matt–

Hello from southeast Idaho!  I will be starting up some Warre hives next spring, and my past experience has been with Langstrough hives up until 1997.  I have some questions about Warre top bar spacing, after having done some reading on this hive.  The standard Warre 24 mm top bar is spaced at 36 mm centers, having 8 frames per hive body.  Has anyone used the narrower 32 mm spacing (9 frames), and did this cause any problems?  Also, have you heard any results of using the vertical orientation of the 9 mm x 24 mm top bars?  Apparentely, this was used in Russian log gum and octagon hives.  This vertical top bars arrangement has 27 mm open space between the 9 mm wide top bars (@ 36 mm centers), and is supposed to prevent the bees from sensing a false floor, which may cause them to  stop building comb into the box below.  Primary concerns, would be any detrimental effects from the departure from the standard Warre design.  Thank you for any information regarding the Warre top bar questions.

Beeman77

Idaho Falls, ID

Beeman,

Thanks for your questions. I’ve yet to try either 9 bars or vertical bars – though I’m VERY keen on trying out some vertical bars in 2011. I’ve used the standard 8 bar configuration with great success on my 10-12 Warre hives. There have been some issues with building downward (as you described), but if there is a heavy flow on and the bees are strong, they definitely build down as needed.

We’ve been swamped, but I will be assembling your hives this week and adding brads configured for 9 bars as you requested. I’ll include 9 and 8 bar jigs. I’ll e-mail you with any questions I have.

Best,

Matt

Matt,

I was wondering if you had the opportunity to try the 9 bar method this year as you stated in your previous post? I’m curious to see if you noticed any difference as opposed to previous years. I just ended my first year as a new beek. Unfortunately, it was not as successful as I would have hoped. I’m not too sure what happened, but I don’t need to get into it here since I’ve inquired elsewhere about it. I’ve recently read about some issues with the bees moving downward as well and am curious if you tried it, and if so what are your thoughts.

Many thanks for your help and I look forward to hearing from you!

-Tim

Just got a Warre hive. Am I supposed to measure and install nails at top bar guides? Or just place the top bars in by hand and let the Bees affix them all whit propolis?

Thanks for the class and the products; both were awesome.

Markl32,

Personally, I just lay the bars in the box and evenly space them by hand. The bees glue them with propolis.

However, our bars (as you can see) have notches cut in the ends so you can affix them with brads/nails if you’d like.

Best,

Matt

I like simple.

Thanks for the tip.

Hi Matt,

I got some really wonky comb these last two years in my Warre - it’s beautiful - but not exactly inspectable should the city or state come calling on my apiary. I’m trying to be very exact in spacing the top bars in the Warre to reduce cross comb. So I am trying to space the bars with a measuring tape.

My question is: are Warre top bars spaced evenly amongst all the bars - the same gap between the bars - or is there less space given to the outside bars - the ones closest to the hive walls? It would seem there should be less space allowed against the wall since there is no protruding comb from the wall as there are when two combs sit next to each other. Although towards the outside is where the bees build the larger honey and drone comb so perhaps the same space is needed even near the wall?

Any chance Bee Thinking would ever sell some type of spacer (it could be cardboard even) to help when we want to space the bars exactly? I would gladly pay for it.

thanks for considering,

Judith

I would like some kind of spacer tool too. I was thinking something like a small hair comb with teeth the thickness of the space between the bars and the space between the teeth the thickness of the bars. But either way, I’d like something too.

I am a new Beek and have the same question about spacing - all the same distance?

are Warre top bars spaced evenly amongst all the bars - the same gap between the bars - or is there less space given to the outside bars - the ones closest to the hive walls? It would seem there should be less space allowed against the wall since there is no protruding comb from the wall as there are when two combs sit next to each other. Although towards the outside is where the bees build the larger honey and drone comb so perhaps the same space is needed even near the wall?