Home | About | Products | Blog

Warre’ quilt question

Hi, all:
I recently built a Warre’ hive for next season. The boards forming the floor of the roof butt up edge to edge without spaces between. Does the quilt function effectively to dissipate moisture if there are no ventilation holes between the quilt and the roof? Would ventilation holes between the quilt and the roof, or vent holes in the sides of the quilt, reduce its effectiveness as an insulator?
Thanks for any clarification offered.
nottlrack

Nottlerack,
I mostly use Langstroth type hive equipment that I have modified to provide better ventilation or moisture reduction of all types. The quilt boxes I make simulate Warre’s style but do contain ventilation holes that are covered by #8 wire cloth to prevent critters and other bee’s from getting in. I use a burlap attached to the bottom, and wood shavings inside. I also vent my roofs in the front and back as you would in a house attic to allow moisture to escape in winter and summer. I remove the quilt box in the summer to allow for better ventilation due to the honey evaporation, and replace them In the winter to reduce cold draft and condensation above the cluster. I have tried both with ventilation holes and without for winter, and I notice that the ones with the ventilation holes work much better to control the condensation. So I have added side vents toward the middle to top of all my quilt boxes to allow the moisture to escape. I hope this helped.