Home | About | Products | Blog

Top bar plans

Hello Matt

Great site ,great products . I’m from the uk and very disappointed l can’t have one of your hives (due to cost ,shipping..etc)

l’ve decided to build my own ,do you have plans i can purchase,if not do you have any hints or tips on building hive especially the hinged lid!!!

Great video tour de hives and great story on how you got into bees. l’m new to beekeeping ,have done a course and hoping to get bees next year,

once l’ve built the hive of course.Any help will be greatly appreciated thank you

Mark

I have bioebees plans , have looked at majorhives,cornwallhoney.com, l think your hive is the best especially the hinged lid and viewing window.

Greetings,

We don’t have any plans at the moment, however, we are working on creating some detailed plans and hope to have them ready by spring time. In the mean time I’ll do my best to help with photos or any other information you need!

Our hive uses very similar internal dimensions as the biobees plans – our bars, etc. are interchangeable. The hinged roof is simply attached to the hive with a couple screws that have threads only halfway up – that way the roof can swing freely without unscrewing! It was the simplest, most effective way we could come up with.

If you need more detailed pictures, please let me know and I can provide them.

Cheers,

Matt

Thanks Matt for the quick reply ,

more detailed pictures would be a great help.

Is the back board on the lid about half the size of the front board, so the lid sits vertical when open?

how do you work out where to put the hinge,I’m not the best diy’er in the world :? (dont want side of lid peppered with holes :lol:

What do you use for your windows? perspex?

Thanks for all your help

Mark

Mark,

I’ll work on the photos.

The back board on the lid is as you described. I can get you the exact dimensions on the roof and the associated holes. We do use Perspex (Plexiglass as us yanks call it!)

:)

Best,

Matt

Tried to pm you regarding plans, could not, i will be happy to send them,they are in centimeters and inches.

Thanks Matt for the quick reply , more detailed pictures would be a great help.

Is the back board on the lid about half the size of the front board, so the lid sits vertical when open?

how do you work out where to put the hinge,I’m not the best diy’er in the world :? (dont want side of lid peppered with holes :lol:

What do you use for your windows? perspex?

Thanks for all your help

Mark

I have a mechanical drawing I would be glad to mail. Just email the address to;

DrDoorlock@gmail.com

Hi,
I know i’m late to this chat. But would anyone know if the plans are still available for Bee Thinking’s TB Hives?
Thanks

Hi Matt,
Are the Top Bar Hive plans still available?
Thanks