Home | About | Products | Blog

Timing for Swarm Traps in Portland

This is my first year beekeeping. When do you recommend we put out swarm traps in the Portland area? I bought some used cedar and built 4 traps about the size of two Warre boxes side by side. I’d gotten extra top bars and put them across the top. They actually came out pretty nice… if I were a bee, I’d like them. Thanks for your help.

Hi, AlchemyBees!

I found an answer to that question in this thread: http://forum.beethinking.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=159

I’m going to go with that time frame for myself out here in Ohio. My wife insists that although we bought two hives she only wants to buy one package of bees and try to lure a swarm for the other hive. I’d already placed an order for a package before finding a source for non-treated, regressed bees and wanted to go ahead and get one from there but she insists we go the swarm route.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Tom

By the way, how about posting pictures of your swarm traps? :smiley:

[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment]

Here I am building the cedar box.

[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment]

Here’s the almost finished box with the top bars in place. Looks like you can move the picture around in the frame to see the whole thing including the opening at the bottom. There’s a lid for it that covers the whole thing with a little overhang for the front porch area.

Nice! Are you planning on putting them up in trees? If so, how will you secure them to the tree–straps?

Cheers,

Tom

So far I have one location at my sister’s house that has a tree with a perfect flat spot about 6 feet up. She’s also surrounded by lots of woods and bees. My second location is at my daughter’s house in a city. Then I have 2 more boxes for around my house. Not sure exactly how I’ll get them to stay in the trees but my husband will help figure that out, he’s good at that.

Get them up by the end of March and you should be fine. Swarms really begin in April. The last two seasons the first swarm has been on Easter day (for us).

Best,

Matt

Yeah i agreed with matt

Get them up by the end of March and you should be fine. Swarms really begin in April. The last two seasons the first swarm has been on Easter day (for us).