Home | About | Products | Blog

Swarm/maybe hive?

Hi Matt,

I actually tried to contact you through the website email and it seemed to get kicked back, so here I am.

I was out trimming a shrubbery in our yard today, it sits about 2 feet off the ground above a South side sidewalk, and suddenly found a swarm there. They seem to be swarming within the shrubs which now remain pretty thick. ;)

Do you think it’s worht looking at to see if there’s a hive? Do you think they’ll just move on?

If there’s a hive would anyone want it? I’m actually thinking, if there’s a hive, of possibly getting it moved and taking care of it but I have no experience.

BTW-Our neighbor Jennifer got a hive from you around a year or 2 ago…Could they possibly have come from there?

Thanks!

Chris

Chris,

Sorry for the delayed response. I’m assuming this isn’t there any more. Let me know if you still need help!

Best,

Matt

No problem. I actually thought they’d be gone by now but they still remain. I do believe them to be honeybee’s.

They are actually inside a rockery and seem to be highly active in and out of a 1-2" hole between the rocks. Seems to be a fair sized swarm.

Any ideas on what to do with them?

Thanks!

Chris

Chris,

Interesting! Can you snap a picture of any of them? Rarely (never) have I seen a honey bee colony in a cavity below ground. Is it elevated? Every single time I’ve gotten calls for “honey bees” underground they’ve been bumble bees or yellow jackets.

If they aren’t honey bees they will die over the winter, so in that case you likely don’t need to do anything. If they are honey bees it’s up to you – if they like the space and survive the winter you could have just gained yourself a helpful colony of pollinators!

Best,

Matt