Home | About | Products | Blog

Newbee here :o)

Hello! My name is Lani and I’ve just set up my first (top bar) hive. Last year I took Matt’s beginning beekeeping class and have been super excited for this day!

We live in a rural neighborhood, just south of Salem, on a quarter acre lot. A few years ago I began really paying attention to what is happening to our world and the impact it is having on ALL living creatures. Anyway, I now garden (food & flowers) with no g.m.o.'s, have free ranging backyard chickens, (am attempting to) become a beekeeper, and next year hope to have two dwarf nubian dairy goats :)

I’ve baited my hive with lemongrass oil and soooo hope to lure in a swarm. (If anybody knows of someone in the Willmette Valley that may have one they need to get rid of…) I am fighting with myself to keep from moving the hive (done it twice already) because I think, "if I were a bee scout, would I like this spot?

One last remark!

In Matts bee class he tells a story about feeding a bee who later returned with her mates. Yesterday I noticed a bee on the outdoor blinds at the back of the house. It had been there since the day before. Remembering Matts story, I put a dab of local honey near the bee and about 3 hours later she flew off!! She hasn’t returned with any friends, but, I am sure she lived :)

Lani,

I am so glad to hear of your new adventures into bee keeping. I am in the same boat as to being a beginner. I do not have a hive just yet (lots to learn!) But I so have backyard chickens and keep a very large, year round organic GMO free garden. I live just south of you, in Brownsville!

I’m so thankful to hear about the non GMO’s! Have you ever heard of feeding your bees (when necessary, of course) honey instead of the yucky sugar syrup (usually contains high fructose corn and GMO sugar) that most recommend? I have heard it works wonders and keeps a natural healthy bees.

Nikki, if you go that route, just make sure you feed your bees honey from a hive you trust to be free from disease. Most of the store-bought honey comes from a mix of commercial hives, and you run the risk of introducing AFB (American Foulbrood) spores or other diseases into your hive. AFB spores can survive up to 40 years, and in many places you are required to burn to the ground any hive that is infected.