Home | About | Products | Blog

Mother Earth News - Lawrence

Will you have top bar hive kits or plan and hardware and top bars kits available at the Lawrence Mother Earth news fair or only by order? Thanks…welcome to Kansas!

Small Town Girl,

We bring 2 of each type of hive to the Mother Earth News Fairs. We sell them at a pretty hefty discount AT the fair so we don’t have to ship them back home! The rest of the orders are done with a fair discount and then shipped once we get back to Portland. If you let us know ahead of time, we could configure one of our demo hives to your specifications and make sure you walk away with it on Sunday!

Best,

Matt

I will be wanting a second top bar hive with the solid bottom. I have decided to stick with what’s working for me, and working under the idea that if I get the screened bottom it’s great in the summer but they get a plastic floor under their feet in the winter and a holey fort to defend in the summer. I can help them out when it’s hot for a month or so by opening a second hole and providing shade and if they don’t want that second hole open, they can close it up. Perhaps when I have more experience and if problems develop with mites in the future I might consider trying the screened bottom.

I’ll stop by your booth at the fair and if you have a solid bottom top bar and the stand and it is still available, I’ll take it off your hands. And if you bring such things as tung oil, I’ll pick up a couple of bottles of that, too. If you don’t have it on hand, I’ll just order it.

I’ll see if I can rustle up a lovely cool fall day with some Kansas sunshine for your visit to our lovely state.

Small Town Girl,

Sounds good! We’ll have 1 with a solid bottom and 1 with a screened bottom at the fair.

I hope you DO bring some good weather! At the Pennsylvania fair there was a deluge of rain on Saturday. A river began flowing through our booth…

Best,

Matt