Home | About | Products | Blog

Is this hive doomed?

I noticed the bottom of my TBH was covered with dead bees. So I went in today, mild and no wind in PDX, OR, to see what’s up. I had plenty of winter stores of honey and some nectar however I noticed lots of brood comb that never got capped. The brood looked solid not slimey. The bees were calm and curious just like always. It’s a very small amount of bees.

Should the dead brood be removed? or leave it alone? I put several bars outside the active chamber however these bars also have honey stores just in case my bees need it later this winter.

My reference books haven’t given me a clear solution or help diagnose the problem. Suggestions beekeepers?

At this point there’s not much you can do either way. I would leave it as is, and if the colony is going to make it they’ll clean out the dead bees as they are able depending on the weather. I’ve had some extremely small colonies survive winter, and colonies that looked strong and healthy die. You may be surprised. The more you mess with it in this cold weather the harder it’s going to be on the colony.

Best,

Matt

I noticed the bottom of my TBH was covered with dead bees. So I went in today, mild and no wind in PDX, OR, to see what’s up. I had plenty of winter stores of honey and some nectar however I noticed lots of brood comb that never got capped. The brood looked solid not slimey. The bees were calm and curious just like always. It’s a very small amount of bees.