Home | About | Products | Blog

How to get bees and bars back in after checking

What do others do to encourage their bees back into the hive after checking, so you can push the top bars back together? I get lots of bees poking their little heads up between the bars, and it takes me forever, putting the bars together one millimeter at a time, so as to not squoosh them. If I try to brush them off, it riles them and only brings more of them up. I’ve seen some videos of people using a light mist of water, which didn’t seem to do anything for me.

I tilt the bar at one end and then slowly move it down allowing the bees to get out of the way.

I lift up the bar a couple inches above the bar I’m attempting to butt it up against. Then I move it over so that it’s even with it and then slowly move it downward. This should push the bees on the side off the bar, and the bees below downward, crushing far fewer bees. After some practice you should be able to move through pretty quickly.

Best,

Matt

check out this guy’s videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7_L1c0C … T2PLqCP0Yg

excellent resource for us hTBH keepers.

:wink:

Great link! McCartney Taylor does good work. He also wrote a book that we sell: Swarm Traps and Bait Hives

Great link! McCartney Taylor does good work. He also wrote a book that we sell: Swarm Traps and Bait Hives

yeah i saw that ;) i pinned it on pinterest to my “Wish List” board…which, come to think…all this beekeeping info would be really well suited to the pinboards on pinterest. ;)

between this site and beesource and youtube…oh, and the podcasts…i think i’ll be able to keep bees…

really appreciate everyone’s help

also, beautiful hive Matt ;) I got one of you htbh for x-mas. it’s a beaut.

i’m thinking of seeing how things go this year and perhaps get a warre hive. really loved what you were saying on the organically managed bee podcast (out of maryland).

my two girls also loved your story of how you fell in love with bees. amazing little creatures they are!!!

check out this guy's videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7_L1c0C … T2PLqCP0Yg

excellent resource for us hTBH keepers.

;)

Great video! I stumbled across that guy’s web site yesterday, but didn’t have a chance to check out all his videos. There’s a lot more out there on TBHs than I first thought! I’m looking forward to getting started.