Home | About | Products | Blog

Help! fire ants

Today I placed a gallon jug of water under two legs of my hive and put the other two inside a cement mixing tray. I filled everything with water to try and create a moat to stop the ants. Later today I looked and one of the gallon jugs was just touching the back leg and the **** things had made their way to the hive again, leaving a perfect trail.

Who can tell me what to do? I may have to exterminate this fresh cut-out because the first banana boat from South America doomed the colony.

I use Tanglefoot on hives that have bad ant issues. Just put a coating 3-4" wide on the legs. Keep the grass trimmed enough that they can’t find another way up. It can be helpful to wrap cardboard or paper around the leg and apply the Tanglefoot to that. This way you can just peel it off and apply a new one whenever the current Tanglefoot gets covered in ants!

Best,

Matt

Geez, fire ants. Best of luck on this, Dr. D!

I was stationed at Bergstrom AFB in Austin in the late '80s and all I can say is if you’ve not dealt with fireants in person you really don’t understand what they’re capable of. I’ve never heard of Tanglefoot until now, but I hope it works for you. I can see a fire ant colony keeping on coming until they’ve made a bridge of fire ants stuck in the mixture.

I’d say find the ant colony and nuke it, but I know that there’s always more out there.

Sorry I don’t have better advice than nuke the ants, but I do have a lot of sympathy having lived in Texas and dealt with them myself.

Regards,

Tom

I was raised in Mobile, Alabama. The fire ants arrived in Mobile from ships that came from South America. I have found that they are fairly easy to kill a fire ant colony. Lots of bananas (maybe all) come thorought the Mobile of Port. A few people have serious allergic reactions to fire ant bites.