Home | About | Products | Blog

First week of package bees

My package of bees were installed in a Warre hive five days ago and the cluster of bees are in the bottom box and not in the higher one. I thought that they would build comb from the top down. Should I just let the bees alone or should I just switch the two boxes. Since I have windows I can see that the cluster covers about 4 bars. I believe they might be building comb. The bees also are not using much sugar water. They have used about a cup and it has been 5 days. Should I be concerned?

Spencart,

They generally start in the top box, but occasionally they decide to start in the bottom box. I’d just reverse the boxes so they continue building downward. Otherwise their combs may be crooked when they start building upward into the top box. I wouldn’t be too concerned about the feed they are taking. If they need it they will take it.

Best,

Matt

I did switch the boxes and it worked out fine. It will be four weeks this Saturday since I got the package of bees and they have filled the entire upper box with comb. Should they have started building comb in the lower box by now or do they wait until an entire box is filled? New bees should be arriving soon and maybe then they will add comb to the lower box.

Spencart,

Sometimes they are hesitant to move down. I don’t think I’ve had any colonies fail to build into at least the second box in their first season. I’d just wait until they fill up the top box a bit more.

Best,

Matt