Home | About | Products | Blog

Dead Bees Help!

Hello all,

I’m a first year beekeeper with one Warre hive and one TBH (at one location), and 2 Langstroth hives (at another location). I live in the Pacific Northwest, where springs are fickle at best and consistently miserable at worst. We had a short stretch of 60 degree weather a couple of weeks ago, but the weather has turned back to cold and wet with no sign of letting up. I stopped feeding my bees sugar water about a week ago because there are plenty of plants blooming and the bees in the Langstroth hive were storing the sugar water. All of a sudden, I’m seeing several (10-20) dead bees on the bottom screen inside the Warre hive. In addition, there are several dead pupa. My father-in-law is also a first time beekeeper and has many (50+) dead bees in the bottom of his Warre hive today as well. He also stopped feeding about the same time I did. I’m new to beekeeping so maybe the answer is obvious, but as I’m at a loss for what to do for them, I would greatly appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Thanks!

seraphina,

Thanks for your post. Due to the miserable turn in the weather, we’re seeing similar death in many of our hives. I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Heft the hives and/or check to make sure there is some stored honey/nectar. If not, you can start feeding again until the weather gets better. The blackberries just started blooming, so any time the weather is nice the bees should be bringing in a LOT of nectar.

Best,

Matt