Home | About | Products | Blog

Bees on outside of viewing window

Checked my Warren hive today. When I removed the board over the viewing window I found about 20 bees wandering around on the outside of the glass. Upon closer inspection I found about a quarter inch space between the edge of the glass and the wood where the bees were crawling in and out. What should I do? Is this a defect?

I had the same window gap on mine, but didn’t have them gather there. I have noticed that they are filling the window edge gap with propolis now. Probably insulating for winter!

Hi Jmcnellis!

Thanks so much for your great question! Sometimes with the weather, the window panel cover warps and causes some gapping. We generally will sand the edge of the panel down so it slides easily in place so that the hinges can press it flush against the window.

Please let us know if you are in need of more help!
Rebekah + Bee Thinking

The problem is the window either has moved or not been installed to cover the opening consequently the bee’s got around iit. I would send a picture but now I cannot get the wooden cover of.

Hi Jmcnellis,

We would be happy to help in customer service with this. Please feel free to give us a call or send us an email at your convenience. You can reach us by email at support@beethinking.com, or by phone at 877-325-2221. Have a lovely evening!

Bee well,

Emily + Bee Thinking

I have a Bee Thinking Top Bar hive and the same thing happened to me. I made shims using wooden popsicle sticks between the window and the wooden frame. This stopped the bees from getting out there, and I’m assuming the bees will propolize my repair eventually. It doesn’t look very pretty, but it works…

Janet